Background information on Open Data
- Open data wikipedia provides a consolidated view of open data resources and materials providing definitions and overview.
- Open Data Handbook aims to define key concepts in open data and also open government data and provides steps on how to open data, includes a glossary of key terms.
- The Next web of open, linked data is a Tim Benners Lee’s talk where captures the vision for the next web of open and linked data.
- World Bank open data learning materials provides detailed information in understanding the Open Data initiative and also experiences from the World Bank projects in open data.
- Open Data for Development (OD4D) is an open data project that seeks to contribute to the development of Open Data strategies to influence public policies in the economies of countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Legal issues and Open Data
- Guide to Open Data licensing – details legal framework and legal use cases in legal issues and open data.
- Open Data Commons provides licensing information and legal tools in using Open Data.
Selected Open Data Projects
- DBPedia is a community effort to extract structured information from Wikipedia and to make this information available on the Web.
- Open Data Foundation is a non profit organisation dedicated to the adoption of global metadata standards and the development of open-source solutions promoting the use of statistical data.
- Linked Open Data Around the Clock (LATC) is an EU-funded project that supports the community to publish and consume Linked Data.
- LOD2-Knowledge Out of Linked Data is an EU–funded project that aims to develop ready tools and methodologies for exposing and managing very large amounts of structured information on the Data Web.
- Open Data Catalog - Comprehensive listing of Open data initiatives by public bodies in United States and Europe. It is managed by a group of leading open data experts from around the world - including representatives from local, regional and national governments, international organisations such as the World Bank, and numerous NGOs.
Open Data Initiatives
Action Plans from the G8 International Conference on Open Data for Agriculture.
- Agricultural Data Interest Group of the Research Data Alliance. The Agricultural Data Interest Group is a domain oriented interest group to work on all issues related to data important for the development of global agriculture. The interest group aims to represent all stakeholders producing, managing, aggregating, sharing and consuming data for agricultural research and innovation.
- Global Open Data Initiative - is an initiative led by civil society organizations to share principles and resources for governments and societies on how to best harness the opportunities created by opening government data.
- Global Strategy for Improvement of Agricultural & Rural Statistics. This is a FAO recommendation on management of agricultural statistics.
- Open Data Research Network. The Open Data Research network has been established to connect researchers from across the world working to explore the implementation and impact of open data initiatives.
- Open Government Partnership. OGP was launched in 2011 to provide an international platform for domestic reformers committed to making their governments more open, accountable, and responsive to citizens.
Linked Open Data
- Linked Open Data: The Essentials is a quick guide for decision makers in understanding open data and linked data concepts, publishing linked data and use cases.
- Linked Data: Evolving the Web into a Global Data Space gives an overview of the principles of Linked Data as well as the Web of Data discusses patterns for publishing Linked Data and describes deployed Linked Data applications and examines their architecture.
- Linked Open Data Cloud provides a diagram of the open data sets that have been published as Linked Data.